As a Ruby on Rails Software Developer at SmartRIA, you’ll help shape the future of the SmartRIA product by designing architectures, solutions and services that will help make SmartRIA the ultimate software platform for regulatory compliance. Our tech stack includes Ruby on Rails, MySQL, Elasticsearch, Redis, JQuery, Vue.js, MongoDB, AWS, Linux, etc. We’re also actively considering other technologies such as Rust, Docker, microservices, etc.
Who are you?
The ideal candidate for this position will have four or more years of solid Ruby on Rails full-stack production experience. Also, you’re a kind person who wants to join a team of coworkers who get things done, but you also understand work/life balance.
Chances are you’re a software developer who has worked in this field for a while. You understand the challenges of the job and have experience with finding solutions. You can be a leader, or a follower, and work well on a team. Possibly, you’ve been grinding at a large organization for several years and are ready to try something new. If you’re looking to make a move to a growing, fun, small company with a bright future, this is your opportunity.
Who are we, and what is SmartRIA?
SmartRIA is the class-leading compliance software platform for wealth managers. We excel at making the complex world of regulatory compliance simple to manage and easy to understand by providing more compliance solutions than our competitors through our award-winning, easy to use* software. (*Gartner Digital Markets, 2020). We are a small, fast-growing company that values our customers, our team and every individual’s unique experiences and contributions.
We like to call ourselves the Happy Compliance Company. Internally, that means we have a culture of mutual respect and appreciation among our team. With our clients, we offer Software as a Partnership®, and consider our customers as an extension of our team through quick response to their questions and concerns.
At SmartRIA, we empower others to be at their best. That means we treat our customers, colleagues and suppliers with admiration and respect and that we are committed to building a team as diverse as the clients and communities we serve. We believe in hiring the right people and giving them the tools and autonomy to be authentic and successful. We offer a flexible vacation plan and a regular 36-hour work week, which give you the opportunity to deliver your best performance while self-managing your work/life blend. We are committed to supporting remote employees working from across the United States so that you have the freedom to work anywhere while delivering superior results for our clients.
All new team members must pass a simple background check and take an easy, 5-minute personality profile. This helps us know who you are and how we can best support you.
More about the Software Developer Positions at SmartRIA
- Above all, must have a good attitude, be a team player, and have a strong, motivated work ethic. You should feel comfortable presenting your ideas and be willing to accept ideas from others, helping SmartRIA to continually foster a collaborative workplace.
- Demonstrable knowledge with two+ years of solid Ruby on Rails full-stack production experience. The more experience, the better. We are hiring at multiple levels.
- Good knowledge of relational databases. (We use MySQL)
- Great written and verbal communication skills. We work closely with our customers and coworkers at all levels.
- Comfortable with Linux-based operating systems including command line interfaces. (We use Ubuntu)
- Comfortable with the Rails console.
- You must be a pragmatic problem solver. We do very good work but cannot always gold-plate everything. We often provide a “good” solution to get a feature out and then iterate over it to make it a “great” solution. We continually look for ways to fine-tune processes.
- Have used source code control- (we use Git)
- Be a U.S. citizen or permanent resident.
What you’ll be doing:
- Write Ruby on Rails code that is secure, clean, easy to maintain, and efficient.
- Design robust, secure, & scalable architectures, services, and solutions on your own and as a team.
- Provide code reviews on pull requests in a positive way where we all learn from each other. Please see https://mtlynch.io/code-review-love/
- Follow best practices such as test-driven development, refactoring, & coding standards
- Coach other developers in positive ways: We have a very active internship program and love to help new grads get their feet wet and learn in a fun environment.
- Competitive salary.
- Lots of room for advancement; we’re a fast-growing company.
- Very few meetings, very little bureaucracy.
- Our technology is growing. You will learn lots.
- We hire very carefully and have wonderful coworkers.
- Stock options in a growing company (vesting begins at one year).
- Our company culture is one of our biggest benefits. We encourage all applicants to review SmartRIA’s career page that details our culture and benefits.
- Full and partial remote work options
- Generous health and dental allowances.
- Flexible vacation plan and a regular 36-hour work week.
Ready to Join Us?
- Provide us with your resume and a brief background of your work history and technical experience.
- Participate in a simple, low-key phone call with our CTO
- Meet our development team or other people during a video interview(s). You will need to demonstrate experience by looking at and talking through code. Ideally, it’s code that you have written and can show us via GitHub or on your computer. If not, we can provide some of our own code to discuss.
- Be yourself. We don’t do coding problems or have “gotcha” questions.
- Ask questions.
SmartRIA DEI Commitment:
We are committed to creating a diverse and inclusive organization and are proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We know that having varied perspectives increases our productivity, positively impacts our business results, and helps us create solutions for a complex, diverse and evolving world. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, pregnancy, disability, age, veteran status, or any other federal, state, or locally protected class.
*Note: This is a direct hire listing. Please- no recruiters or agencies.
Please send a resume and an email introduction detailing any relevant experience to [email protected]